Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Conversations

Callie: Mom, I need a place to hang up my necklace.
Me: Why don't you put it in your jewelry box?
Callie. No, I want to hang it up. Maybe Daddy will put a hooker in my room.


The following conversation is heresay. I didn't actually hear it myself. The doctor did tell me about it firsthand. I'm pretty sure she's a reliable source. Chandler is underweight and the doctor has been after him about his eating.

Dr.: Chandler, how have you been doing with your eating?
Chandler: Mostly, I like to fast.
Dr.: Fast?
Chandler: Yes, Jesus, fasted for forty days and forty nights and I'm willing to do it.

The doctor was a little confused until I explained what fasting was and the we were NOT requiring our underweight six year old to do it. (For those of you who aren't members of our church, on the first Sunday of the month, the ADULTS skip two meals and donate the money they would have spent on the meals to the hungry.) Anyway, I honestly don't know where he got that. On the way home Chandler and I had the following conversation:

Me: Chandler! Why did you tell the doctor you wanted to fast? She thought Mommy was making you go without food!
Chandler: Well, I do want to fast.
Me: You have your whole life to be grown up and fast. Right now you need go concentrate on eating right and growing big and strong.
Chandler: I just want to feel closer to Heavenly Father and Jesus.

What the heck am I supposed to say to that??

(On a side note, Chandler is doing better with his eating. He gained another pound last month.)

5 comments:

Alicia said...

Ha ha! I'm kinda shocked that the doctor didn't know what fasting was. For'real? Hmm, that is a tough one to respond to. Even if he is being misleadingly pious :).

Susan said...

That's pretty sweet! You know that boy pays attention in primary!

nicilee said...

That is so cute. Kids say the funniest things. I can just imagine the feeling of having your doctor think you are making your underweight child fast for long periods of time and I can laugh because it wasn't me. How would it be to have to gain weight? I really wish I knew.

Sarah (and a few others) said...

My friend Kayleen had a kid who would call coat hangers hookers. And so one day in WalMart she calls out to him and he responds- Mom, I'm just over here playing with these hookers!"

Seriously, kids and gospel doctrine. What can I say. You need to check out Sam's crazy Jesus stories on my blog, and then on Julia's blog. Your child is a saint.

Anonymous said...

Hello all.
I am now a Mac user whereas i desired to be aware of which is the best software out there for users of Mac what transfer files of video like Avi documents to dvd.
On windows i am accustomed to utilize a tool named [url=http://www.topvideoconverter.com/dvd-creator-mac/]create dvd on mac[/url] which i found out brilliant and easy to utilize but cannot accept the price.
So what is out there what is very good and would do basically the same job and not get ages transfering the files, have to be able to transfer other documents rather than only avi.