Thursday, August 14, 2008

We Did It!

As you read the above headline, please perform the "we did it" dance featured at the end of each and every Dora episode.

Chandler's first day of kindergarten is complete! Here are some of the things that I was worrying about last night that did NOToccur:

1. The alarm does not go off. We are late for our first day. Or I somehow forget that today is the first day of kindergarten and we just stay home all day, remembering about 3:00 that afternoon.
2. A stranger offers him candy or a ride.
3. He gets on the wrong bus.
4. School security guards have to remove me by force from his classroom, as I refuse to leave and cling to Chandler's pant leg.
5.The principal calls to tell me that Chandler was the first kindergartner to ever start a food fight in the cafeteria on his first day.
6. His mountain of school supplies is not complete. I know this may be old hat for some of you, but look at this. For Kindergarten? Really? I hear they need a lap top for 1st grade....

I'm going to stop there before I come across as crazy. Maybe it's too late...

Anyway, here's how the day DID go:

Chandler got to watch the "Curious George" PBS show as he ate his breakfast. He was very excited because he is usually not up early enough to catch it. I told him that he could watch it every school day and when it was over, it's time to head to the bus stop.

He posed for a picture with his new backpack.

We loaded up his aforementioned plethora of school supplies and said good-bye to Daddy. Daddy was looking a bit teary and sentimental. I am proud to say I held it together. Or it could have been that my tear ducts were just empty after last night's poetry ridden sob fest. (See previous post.)

We headed over to the school and took a picture out front.

We found his classroom with little trouble and met his teacher. She was really sweet and glad to meet Chandler. I eventually tore myself away, again with no tears, even on the way home. (Man, I am a rock!!!) Chandler gave me a hug and didn't bat an eyelash. I kept my cell phone in my pocket all day long, but there were no calls from the school. The only hiccup happened about 3:15. I was pacing my kitchen waiting for time to go meet him at the bus stop. I had my camera ready to take his picture as he got off. And then there was a knock at my back door. It was my boy! His bus was almost 20 minutes early! He had gotten off the bus and walked home with no trouble! And I was worried! He's so big. Anyway, he walked in the door and I said, "Well? How was it?" And he said, "Mom, it was so much fun, I forgot to learn!" Does it get any better than that? Of course, then I asked him what his favorite part was. "The bus!" We sure love our big kindergarten boy!

9 comments:

jewly said...

First of all way cute poem. Second Congratulations You made it through the first day of kindergarden. Third Wow Chandler you walked home safely. and forth that is a lot of stuff to bring to school. I am glad none of your fears happend.

Christine said...

Way to go widget! School is all about the bus.. who needs to learn.

Alicia said...

Yay for Chandler! Keep having fun and forgetting to learn, and you'll end up a genius :). I'm so glad everything went smoothly!

Susan said...

I can not believe the school supplies list they send out around here! It's out of control! Forget school clothes and shoes, the supply list alone will make us broke!

chad said...

My favorite picture has got to be the one with Chandler on the bench. You can just see how uncomfortable he is with the MONSTER backpack filled with all of his school supplies.

That is so exciting that he is doing so well.

Can I see a picture of his rec-specs?

erin said...

What a big boy! It's so fun to see him growing up! I can just picture him walking home from the bus like a big kid! I'm glad it went so well! He's going to have a blast in Kindergarten..and learn at the same time!

Britt said...

Congrats on making it through the drop off without a tear. It is such a memorable day!

Dawn said...

I love the fears, especially the one about how you stayed home and forgot about the first day. That is so something I would do! The school supplies are mind boggling. My sister had to do the same thing and roam all around town trying to find a teal colored notebook. She was cracking me up!!!!

nicilee said...

Children of his size should not be allowed to carry that big of a backpack. That is crazy! At least most of that stuff stays there. Do they really need a lap top for first grade or are you being facetious? Before we moved to Ogden, Savannah always wanted to know if she could ride on a school bus. I told her when she turned five. Well, we move here and live three blocks from the school so no big school bus for her.